A sweet and spicy shredded chicken stew
Chicken Recipe Ingredients
serves (6) cook time (
) preperation (
- 2 ancho chillies
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ c raisins
- 2 tbs smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbs chipotle paste
- 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 oz dark chocolate, chopped
Chicken Recipe Instructions
- Put the chillies in a bowl and cover in boiling water for about 20 minutes until softened.
- In a large casserole dish, add the oil, season and brown off the chicken and remove to a separate plate.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the cumin and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute until aromatic.
- Take the chillies and discard the stems and seeds.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the chilli soaking liquid, the chillies, garlic and raisins in a blender and whizz into a paste.
- Add the blender paste, peanut butter, chipotle paste, can of tomatoes and can of water (refill the empty tomato can with water) to the casserole dish.
- Return the chicken to the dish, season and cover, simmering for about an hour.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat.
- Add the shredded chicken and chocolate to the dish and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with your choice of sides.